Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Subha Bihani (Good morning)

Blog for the 7th February

“Aaaaarrrgghhhhh….. it is already 8.15 – and breakfast here at the platform is at 8’o clock. How can you feel so tired?” I thought to myself realizing that it was only my second morning here in Nepal. The feeling of being home was in my body but it felt strange to feel at home this soon.
After breakfast we were to clean the house. Sumi (the housekeeper) introduced us how to do it. I’m not sure I have ever tried such an ineffective broom, but Sumi had presented it with a smile and like that we received it.
Janitha, who is nepali, was the facilitator of the day. She told and explained about religions in Asia, and late we discussed social structure. The social structure here in Nepal is created by the caste system, culture and religions. I thought it was very inspiring to hear how she had felt due to the discrimination she was been exposed of because of her caste. She is born into one of the untouchable castes which is called the Dalits.
When she told her story you could see that she is a strong and clever woman, who has decided not to practice the caste system, though it is so common in her culture. Our discussion on discrimination developed to deal with sexuality, gender or sex (society or biology) and religion also.

In the afternoon we were taking Janitha’s advice on where to go and buy “local” clothes. Four girls, including myself when because we really wanted to wearer local clothes tomorrow. Tomorrow we are going to two temples – which I am extremely excited about.

The day has been fascinating to me because it is not very often at home in Denmark that I meet people who are so devoted to something as religious people are to their religion.
We ought to go to bed soon because every day brings lots of things which requires lots of energy.

But let us see…..


Yesterday we went to bed at 1 am because we were sitting in a room on the platform talking. It is amazing people here. Everyone has their story and their experiences. From the people here I am probably learning the most.
Ending this blog I feel just like I did this morning: the time is running so fast that I hardly can remember everything because I get so many impressions all the time. I learn every second.
Therefore I cannot doubt that within this month we will be ready to go and volunteer.
- Elin

1 comment:

  1. Could you please write for me "subha bihani" and "subha ratri" in Nepali and send it to my email?
    gadi_sam@netvision.net.il
    I need it for an album I'm preparing on my visit to Nepal.
    Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete